5 Things that happen if you eliminate sugar from your diet
The benefits of reducing sugar
As many of you know I recently broke my elbow in a mountain bike accident. I am passionate about getting back to do the things I did before, including swimming, mountain biking, adventure racing, and running and decided I would do anything and everything to speed my recovery up.
One of the major things I did was to address my diet and eliminate all the foods that are high on the inflammation list. So I eliminated 1. Milk 2. Sugar including processed foods 3. Gluten 4. Caffeine 5. Alcohol
Today I am celebrating 100 days. Initially, I started with only the goal to my next appointment with the Orthopedic surgeon (which was 2 weeks), then that moved on to the date the 4 pins in my hand was removed (I broke my hand too!) 8 weeks later and today on day 100!
Things that you will discover making these adjustments to your diet.
1. You will have lots more energy Previously I attempted to cut out sugar in my diet with difficulty. I believe this time I had a big WHY that was motivating me. What is your WHY for good health? I also believe cutting out gluten (bread, pizza, pasta, cookies) helped my blood sugar not to fluctuate and therefore reduced the craving for sugar.
The need for some sweetness is still there occasionally and now I have discovered some wonderful substitutes. I will share my favorite macaroon recipe with you below.
2. You will lose weight It has been said: “A bad diet can not be outdone by any amount of exercise”. Realising that I was not going to be able to do my normal activities I was more conscious about my weight. I lost more weight following the guidelines above even with very little exercise.
3. Your skin will glow Sugar shortens telemeters – these are the end sections of DNA. As you age your DNA shortens in nature. Sugar speeds this process up. Sugar can actually damage the collagen and elastin that keep skin firm and youthful. The breakdown of sugars, called glycation, damages the collagen that keeps skin smooth and firm. The result: premature aging and deepening of facial wrinkles.
4. Elimination of cellulite Cellulite is a toxin that is stored in the cells. It was easy to increase water intake every day which also aided in detoxification. I am also had coconut water, elite electrolytes, and red expresso tea.
5. Reduction of inflammation Inflammation is the biggest culprit responsible for all chronic diseases. Chronic diseases include cancer, autoimmune conditions (eg. Lupus, Multiple sclerosis, Hashimoto’s), Alzheimer’s, heart disease, diabetes, psoriasis, etc. If you can reduce inflammation you can also reduce your inflammation in your body significantly. I remembered that the physio told me that there is nothing I can do to speed the recovery up – well 14 weeks later she admitted that is is possible to speed up recovery.